<-- Please use the "Navigate To" in the side-bar to the left to find any information that you may need!
We have attempted to provide any information you may need as a trail user; or a person interested in the "Fred Meijer White Pine Trail State Park! If you cannot find what you want / need please e-mail or call the chairman whose contact information is near the bottom of the side-bar.
If you should find a problem, deficiency, or have suggestions with this site, please inform us by clicking HERE.
We very much appreciate your feedback to us!
Paving the Trail News
Summer seems to have finally arrived!
As of 8 June, we have had to clean the trail three times this year already from Sand Lake south!
On 10 June, we patched the major potholes south of Russell Road and will be working on the rest of the asphalt issues in the future!
We have been fortunate to not have any serious problems from the heavy rains we have had this year!
It appears there will be no additional paving in the foreseeable future!
The trail has been very busy so please be courteous!
The following is a description of an alternate route which may be followed between LeRoy and Reed City which will allow you to be on pavement for the total distance between Cadillac and the south side of Big Rapids.
Please note; on some maps; Mackinaw Trail and 210th Ave are interchangeable in the area just North of Reed City and may be labeled as either.
Mackinaw trail is the old US 131 highway and lightly used. 210th Ave is a county road with moderate traffic.
From the North going South
- At the end of the pavement just South of LeRoy go West (Right approx. 300 ft.) on McKinley Road to Mackinaw Trail; then go South (Left) .
- Follow Mackinaw Trail South; which makes a big curve and turns into Sylvan Rd; ending at (approx. 5 miles) 210th Ave.
- Go South (Right) on 210th Ave till you come to the Fred Meijer White Pine (approx. 6 miles) Trail in Reed City.
- Proceed South on the trail.
From the South going North
- In Reed City - just after you go through the covered bridge go North (Right) on Mackinaw Trail (approx. 6 miles) to Sylvan Rd.
- Go West (Left) on Sylvan Road; which makes a curve to the North and then becomes Mackinaw Trail.
- Follow Mackinaw Trail 5 miles North to McKinley Road and turn East (Right) to the Fred Meijer White Pine Trail.
- Turn North (Left) on the trail; which will take you to Cadillac.
The Fred Meijer White Pine Trail is Michigan's longest rail/trail stretching a distance of 92 miles on the former Grand Rapids and Indiana rail bed. The trail reaches from the north end of Grand Rapids (just south of the 5th/3rd Ballpark) into the city of Cadillac. Future plans for other Michigan trail systems include intersecting with the White Pine establishing it as the backbone of the Michigan rail-trail system.